Today we decided to go to the World Festa Yokohama 2007 which was pretty much an international food fair in a park along the coast. When we got out of the station, standing in front of me was a Lexus dealership with a VW dealership alongside, so I had to snap a couple shots. 


We walked about 3 minutes and arrived at the festival. There were quite a few people, many children and foreigners. In the middle there were chairs and tables with people either eating there or eating on the grass. On the sides were mainly stalls from different countries like USA, Indonesia, China, Korea, Germany, Nepal etc offering food from their respective countries. 




We saw a long line at the Indonesian stall so since I couldn’t decide what I wanted, I’d just went for the one with the longest line. The Indonesian stall actually had 2 lines. The line I was standing in was the ling for shaved ice which Japanese love – no wonder there was such a long line. When we realized that, my friend went over to the regular food line and ordered:
Indonesian Fried Noodles
and Indonesian Fried Rice. My line took a long time, so when he had gotten the food, I was still waiting for the:
Mango and Strawberry shaved ice.
Both the noodles and the rice were very tasty, so we quickly finished it and moved on to the shaved ice. It turned out to be a pretty nice and warm day so the shaved ice was perfect. We came across a Toyota stand where they had 3 cars on display:
The Ist is basically the Scion xA, and the display is of the new version of it.
The Vanguard is basically a RAV4. At first I thought it was a new model, but then I realized the inside is exactly the same as a RAV4, and the only difference is that this had a Camry grill. Maybe this is a preview of the redesign?
Then there was the Estima which isn’t available in the US maybe because it’s too small. It does come in a Hybrid version in the US though.
We walked around a little more but since there were mainly food stalls, we left soon after we finished eating. 

We then headed out to Ginza by the Tokyo Metro to meet my friend’s coworkers. We got off on the Mistsukoshi exit and we went to the Sony Building together. There were a little over 100 small display stalls but most of them were current products and nothing inspiring. 
There was the world’s first OLED (Organic LED) monitor on display which will go on sale in November. What’s so special about it is that it not only is very power efficient, but also super thin. It’s about 3mm thin. The largest one is only about 10” though. 
Then we saw Rolly, Sony’s new egg that has caused a lot of media attention in Japan. Rolly is only available in Japan and is an MP3 egg that could dance along with the music. It was launched in September and sells for about 40,000 yen. 
Then we saw the world’s largest 70” LCD TV.
Afterwards we walked around Ginza. It’s a nice area and it’s pretty classy. What I noticed is that despite the streets having many people and cars, it’s very quiet. People hardly talk and you don’t hear cars honking their horns. Weird.
Each name brand shop seemed to have their own building.
Gucci Building
Dior Building.
We walked by the Manneken Belgian Waffle shop and there was a long line outside. I wanted some so my friend and I stood in line for about 20 minutes. In order to make our wait worthwhile, we decided to buy 10 of them. Yes, there are no pictures because we ate them very quickly. 
Then we went to visit the Nissan Display Hall which had the new Skyline (a.k.a. Infiniti G37 Coupe). There was nothing special and I’m sure I’ll see a bunch of them on the street in the US. It’s pretty expensive here because the car has a big engine and cars in Japan are based on displacement.

We then walked down the streets and visited Uniqlo,
walked by Prada,
looked at Zara which had a whole building to themselves,
went into Burberry which had both the Black and Blue Label.
Fujitsu phones!!!
Then we took the Tokyo Metro home. We were standing in the front of the train, so we were able to see the driver and see what it’s like to be shotgun!
That night we went to the beef bowl place Sukiya to have diner. We did take out as we were quite exhausted from all the walking that day.
No comments:
Post a Comment