Friday, October 5, 2007

25th day - Evangelion Time!!!

Today I work up late again and decided to head to Harajuku to pick up my stuff. As usual I spent a lot of time there browsing the small shops and I also discovered a whole new section of shops that I have never came across.
Afterwards, I went back to Shibuya to look around a bit more and realized it was pretty late and I hadn’t had lunch yet. I saw a McDonald’s and realized that I haven’t really had McDonald’s in Japan and I wanted to compare it to the US.
I ordered a Filet-O-Fish meal and received the most number of “thank-you”s I have ever gotten in a McDonalds or maybe even in any restaurant in the US. The fish in the burger itself somehow tasted better as it may have been more fresh? The fries were a bit harder though, so I didn’t like them as much. They had iced-lemon tea and you use that little container to add the lemon flavor and sugar. Cool!
What was weird though was that in Japan they separate all their garbage, you can say they are quite eco friendly in this way. After you eat, you have to even separate the lid of your drink from the cup itself. And you have to pour the remaining of your drink and/or ice into this little bowl-shaped sink. However since they use so many things to pack things and produce a lot more garbage, I think separating the garbage is the least they can do.

When my friend got back, we went to Kawasaki to watch my favorite anime movie Rebuild: Neon Genesis Evanglion: 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE. It has been on for a while but I have not seen it and have wanted to see it. We were going to see the 9:45 show, so we went to eat first. We went to the food court downstairs as we were sort of running out of time, and I quickly decided on a hot dog from Premium Kitchen. It was a pretty big one and I really liked the thick fries just like those in the US. My friend ordered a seafood pasta from the pasta place there. It tasted a little bland. While I was waiting, I realized that there were over 40 restaurants and cafes in the Kawasaki Lazona Plaza alone! (Just to remind you that this is where they have a Loft, Muji, had a Bic Camera store and where we went to CPK before.) After we ate we rushed over to the 109 Cinemas to watch the movie. But just like the US, they ran promotional clips of other movies for a good 15 minutes before they start, so we could have taken our time. We were probably the last ones to be seated and I was surprised that the cinema was over half full considering this movie has been aired for over a month.
The movie, as I found out from my research and after seeing it, is basically a simplified and slightly re-written version of the original episodes and movies so that it could be more easily understandable by non-fans. They will come out with a total of 4 movies that will basically keep the original story line but change certain minor things. In addition to that, they have added new scenes and a lot more CG effects to enhance the movie. This first part of the movie is probably 3-5 episodes in one. Fans MUST SEE.
It just shows you how great this series is despite it being a 12 year old story, they still have enough fans to support them to remake the entire series after so long. It was totally worth seeing.

No comments: